In the Department of Mathematics, University of Stellenbosch
- First year Mathematics modules Calculus & Linear Algebra for natural science students (2009 – 2011, 2013-2016, 2017 (1st semester), 2018)
- Convenor of the First year Mathematics modules Calculus & Linear Algebra (2014 – )
- First year Mathematics for the Biological Sciences (2011 – first semester)
- Third year Mathematics module Ring Theory for natural science students (2012 – 2013, 2017 (with Dr C. Naude))
- Engineering (Masters) Mathematics B812 Linear Algebra (2014)
In the Engineering & Natural Sciences Cluster, National Institute for Higher Education (Northern Cape)
- First year Mathematics module
Calculus for engineering students (2005-2007)
- Second year Mathematics module
Engineering Mathematics (2006-2007)
- Third year Mathematics module
Engineering Mathematics (2007)
In the Management & Economic Sciences Cluster, National Institute for Higher Education (Northern Cape)
- First year Statistics module
Statistics for Bachelor of Commerce students (2005-2007)
- First year Computer Science module
Introductory Computer Science course for Bachelor of Commerce students (2007)
At the African Institute of Mathematical Sciences
- A first course in Abstract and Linear Algebra (November 2015, 2016, 2017)
Teaching & Learning Talks:
- Essay Writing as a Tool to Enhance the Mathematics Learning Environment. The Third Annual Conference on the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, Stellenbosch University, May 2010.
- My journey in teaching Mathematics… (so far). The Natural Sciences Teaching Day, May 2013.
- ICT use in teaching Mathematics to first-years. The Stellenbosch University Natural Sciences Teaching Event, May 2014.
- Mathematics as a journey. The AIMS Imaginary Workshop, November 2014.
- Mini-Projects in Mathematics 144. Stellenbosch University SoTL Conference, November 2016.
- Bridging the gap between school & university mathematics. AP Teachers Workshop at Bridgehouse, May 2017.
- Bridging the gap between school & university mathematics. Farewell dinner for the Cape Town International Maths teams, June 2017.
- How to better prepare students for university mathematics. IEB Mathematics Conference at Somerset College, January 2018.
- Secretary of the AMESA Congress Organising Committee in the Northern Cape (2005)
- Member of the Organising Committee of National Science Week in the Northern Cape (2006-2007)
- Judge for the Telkom National Teacher of the Year Awards in Science and Technology (2006-2007)
- Featured in the June Teenzone Magazine, in the “Get the Job” section (2010)
- Nominated for six Vice-Rector’s Awards at Stellenbosch University for Excellence in Teaching (2010 (2), 2014, 2017 (3))
- Part of a group of lecturers who lecture using the tablet PC. For a sample of my notes, please click here
- Member of the SAMS Congress Organising Committee (2012)
- External moderator for UFS, UWC & UCT, NMMU
“Not one student in a thousand breaks down from overwork.”
William Allan Neilson